Thursday, June 28, 2007

Birthday Bewilderments

Today is my birthday. In exactly 9 hours I will be 28 years old for the 10th year in a row. I figure I can tell people I'm 28. I am and then some. :) My husband got me my favorite roses, Issy Miyake perfume and body lotion, and a trip to Las Vegas to coincide with my 20 year high school reunion in August. It's funny how my birthday used to be my favorite day of the year. I thought it the most beautiful day of the year too. Now not so much. I still like getting presents and I still like eating cake don't get me wrong, but somehow the magic of the day has gone. I no longer enjoy getting older. I never really wanted to be any older than 16 and that was 22 years ago. I often look at myself and wonder how I ever got to be this old. I still feel like a kid. It's rather bewildering. I think my sister feels the same way to an extent. lol I feel that way about her. How can she possibly be that old? She doesn't seem to me to be any older than she ever was. It's like I'm trapped in some bizarre time warp. I imagine this is a combination of the 20 year reunion and my birthday all wrapped up in one. And please don't comment about how I should be grateful I'm getting older considering the alternative. I don't want to hear it. I think that's so dumb. If I were dead I'd get to be with Jesus and the beats the heck out of getting old. I have this one hair on my head that is as thick as a piece of dental floss. I am a natural blonde but this hair has always been black. A few years ago I found it and it was pure white. Of course I pulled the darn thing out. DH thought it was dental floss until I showed him that the first inch or so of it was black. No gradual change. It just one day turned white. Personally, I blame dh's deployment to Iraq for that one. About 2 months ago I got my hair cut. I never told you all because I don't want to post a picture of it. I got about a foot cut off of it and cut in a flip (yes just like Mrs. Wilt but a bit longer) the hairdresser found a gray hair and showed it to me. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't the weird thick one it was a normal hair! Of course I pulled it out by the root. And don't write in about not pulling my hair out because I'll go bald mother, you of all people should know that I have twice the number of hair follicles that normal people have. I'm going to dye my hair today. I'm going for blonde. Mine has turned brownish over the years. I think blonde will make me look younger.
Signed,
Bewildered

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

From your past love!

Rebecca said...

Dear Anonymous, please identify yourself. Unless you are a pepperoni pizza I can't imagine who you would be.

TO BECOME said...

Rebecca, Have a happy birthday, a very happy birthday. I wish I could tell you that it will feel better afterwhile but it want. I just had to get use to the changes. We all feel as you do to day. It want make any difference what you do we can't stop time. But I have learned a little secret, as soon as you learn to accept the coming days they you will find or very very wonderful days in their own way. I love my life now and I am really sorry it took me so long to realize the truth about time. I do hope you find the joy that you once did in your birthdays I know during that time I sure missed a lot. Have a good weekend. connie from Texas

Rebecca said...

Turns out the above mentioned past love is a friend of mine back home playing a joke on me. Ha! I was trying to trace the commenter and everything to figure out who it was. When she called to say happy birthday, I knew it was her.

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday!

Don't worry, I have pulled out gray hairs since i was 16 and I still have enough hair for both of us! lol