Monday, July 16, 2007

One Of Those Days

Have you ever had one of those days? You know, the kind of day where you can't seem to do anything right? I have. I've had that day all over the place today. Me and my big mouth. Today was a parade day the details of which will remain unpublished. As some soldiers were entering the parade field I noticed that they had on unusual uniforms. So I asked my friend sitting beside me if she knew and it turns out they are special guests from the German military. I don't know what I was thinking but I mentioned casually that they were ugly uniforms. Not that the American ones are great (they aren't) but they just didn't strike my fancy. I meant no harm. (note to self: if you can't think before you speak just shut up) A few minutes later the lady sitting in front of my friend said something. It turns out she's German. I don't know that she heard my comment, but I think she did. I was mortified to realize that what I said may very well have offended her and possibly shown her how boorish Americans are. Well, I'm sorry to say it didn't end there. I just realized that I can't tell you the other one. I don't think that person reads my blog but might. Anyway suffice it to say that I may have inadvertently let the cat out of the bag about something. It seems lately that the stupidest things come out of my mouth. Is stupidest a word? I realize I've been a bit distracted and I can't tell you all how ready I am to go back to the states for a while. Is it a bad thing to say that I'm just burned out on Europe? I just want to go home and be where I better understand things. I want to get a pedicure that doesn't make my feet itch. I want to go to a Cubs game and eat good food that's bad for me. That reminds me that I need to do a post on spaghettios. Now there's a nutritional powerhouse! I want to eat garlic dill pickles dipped in spaghettios right out of the can. I want to go to a restaurant and order something that I've heard of and do it in English. When did I become such a whiner? Well, fear not. My month long States adventure will soon be upon me. The posting will be more sporadic but it should at least be interesting.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes you bet I have had one of those types of days. I feel so awful afterward though if I think I may have offended someone.

A trip to the states will do you good! We may have our problems, but we have so much good here too!

Dawn said...

My husband and I are burned out on Europe too. We have been here for 2 years but it seems like forever. We keep looking up to the sky and saying "anytime now God..you can send back Stateside". :)
The main things my husband misses is WalMart...going out to eat..anywhere...just walking around the mall just because he wants too not necessairly buying anything. He misses driving!!!! He has tried getting his license but has failed the test.

I miss the freedom. The freedom of not always having to show your ID card EVERYWHERE and for EVERYTHING. I miss being able to drive without having my car inspected. Oh my gosh speaking of car inspections...I don't know if you have PONDS guards at your base, but we do...they are really annoying, but anyway, so we were getting our car inspected and the PONDS guard asks my husband to come over to trunk and show him what this "object" was. The "object" was just a stupid umbrella!!! Ummm hello!!! Earth to the PONDS guard...ever see an umbrella before??? ugh... *rolls eyes*.
I miss being able to take my car to the dealership to get fixed...gosh I miss that and my car is in dire need of some help.
I miss a real good church family, one that doesnt have one foot in the world and one in the church doors.
I miss relationships with born again Christian friends.
I miss thrift stores!!! Oh my...yes....
And I miss variety...all AAFES in Europe pretty much sell the same boring things all the time. Or, at least in my PX, if something is out of stock, that's it...no more of that item. They are shady over here.
I miss being able to attend the funerals of my relatives when they pass away...very hard to do that when you're 6,000 miles away.

The good thing that has come out of Europe for us though is that we have been able to save a whole bunch of money and just stash it away in savings. There are no stores that interest us here, so, we save. :)

I hope you have a fun time in the States!!! It will go by so quickly!!! I was home in Florida May 25th - June 11th and it flew by! Now it's like I were never there. :(

I don't think you are whining. There are plenty of us who are just sick of being here and there is nothing wrong with expressing yourself. People don't understand where we are coming from if they have never been here with the military.

Germany is an alright place to VISIT not LIVE. It's a good place for a vacation or a honeymoon, not to live here (unless of course you're European).

Bless you!

Unknown said...

Hey I'm back! Just checking in on you Rebecca. Hope you're having some better days!

Your post and Dawn Marie's comment made me get to thinking about how many Americans take our great land for granted. It's because or men like your hubbys that we have our freedoms still intact. I hope you all will personally thank them for me! I pray for America to stay great! We are losing our foothold as we lose our morals. I pray all christians register and vote correctly in this upcoming "08 election. So much hangs in the balance.

Keep your chins up girls. God be with you!

Rebecca said...

I did Pam, and I can't agree with you more.